Harold Washington Apartments
4946 N. Sheridan
Chicago, IL, 60640
Phone: (773) 409-4634
TTY: 800-877-8973 or 711
Monday-Friday 8:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
About Harold Washington Apartments
The Harold Washington Apartments (HWA) is a three-story, 45,530 square-foot, mixed-use building which provides 69 units of permanent supportive housing for formerly homeless, low-income and disabled adults. The property consists of 65 studios and four one-bedroom apartments. Located in Uptown West Argyle Street Historic District, The property was originally constructed in 1916 and operated as the historic Moreland Hotel. The HWA was Mercy Housing’s first building in Chicago as was acquired in 1986. The property was the first single room occupancy project to be funded by the city, the first to be funded by the state and the first to be syndicated through the Chicago Equity Fund. Through innovative financing, the property has been through an energy-efficient redesign and rehab.
Amenities and Services
- Community room
- On-site laundry facilities
- Outdoor courtyard
- Case management and referral services
- Several green features including a geothermal mechanical system
- Tenant Leadership Program
- Art Therapy
- Laundry Facilities
- 69 units of permanent supportive housing including 65 studios and four one-bedroom apartments
- Acquired in 1986
- Funded by: City of Chicago HOME, State of Illinois Tax Credit Equity, Chicago Equity Fund, historic tax credit equity, TIF and HUD Multifamily Green Retrofit Program
- Architect: Dennis Langley, Weese Langley Weese Architects
Effectiveness of Programs
Donate to Mercy Housing
Your donation to Mercy Housing could help fund our mission through communities like this one, transforming lives throughout the Lakefront region.