Nov 23Supporting Students Through Resident Services
According to the Nation’s Report Card*, students in the fourth and eighth grades fell significantly behind in math and reading test scores because of the pandemic. Students didn’t suffer just academically, but their social lives and mental and physical health were also greatly impacted.
However, for students who call Mercy Housing Southeast home had the same experience. However, thanks to our Out-of-School Time programming, there was a BIG difference – residents THRIVED.
“Virtual school was so hard! I don’t think I could have done it without them!” – Keisha, Mercy Housing Southeast resident
Despite the transition to virtual learning, lack of internet access in their homes, illness, and parents who may have lost jobs, Mercy Housing Southeast students achieved:
- All 54 participating students were promoted to the next grade level after the 2021-22 school year.
- Of the 30 students who voluntarily shared their grades, 100% improved their grades from the first report card to the final report card for the year.
- Four 2022 high school students graduated and began their college careers this fall.
What made the difference?
Mercy Housing OST provides students with homework support, tutoring, STEM exercises, educational field trips, art activities, and family involvement, provided by staff who know the students and families personally. When the student’s homes lacked the technology needed for virtual schooling, Mercy Housing made sure those needs were met as we worked to close the digital divide and provide high-speed internet access. And, over the summer, many of the young residents attended a fun and educational six-week summer camp, which helped prepare them for the 2022-2023 school year.
Mercy Housing provides students with the support they need to achieve academically and help to secure their future.
You may also like:
- A Splash of Summer Fun Out-of-School Time is a widely popular youth program at Mercy Housing that provides kids with...
- Volunteer Power Stroll by Mercy Housing’s Heritage Homes community on a Monday morning and you will likely...
- Letter from President – Winter 2022 Welcome to 2022! Following many challenging months, one thing has remained constant – people’s resiliency...
- Letter From The President – Spring 2022 Hello and welcome! Following many challenging months, one thing has remained constant – people’s resiliency...
Stay Up To Date
Get news on Mercy Housing and inspiring stories of change delivered to your inbox.